2017 Karin Riley Porter Good Works Scholarship
PLEASE NOTE: HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS ARE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR THIS SCHOLARSHIP
PLEASE SEND ALL QUESTIONS AND INQUIRIES BY EMAIL TO SCHOLARSHIPS@VIRGINIA-CRIMINALLAWYER.COM
We will answer all inquiries within 48 hours. Please note that all information about the scholarship is available on this page. Please make sure to read this page carefully before submitting an inquiry as it may delay the application process. In an effort to keep proper track of all our answers to inquiries, we are no longer accepting inquiries by phone. Please submit all questions by email.
We are excited to announce the 2017 Karin Riley Porter Good Works Scholarship! This is our second year offering this scholarship, and we were very happy with the number and quality of applicants in 2015. You can learn more about our past winners here.
Virginia criminal lawyer Karin Riley Porter believes strongly in advancing the cause of the criminal justice system and criminal defense services by ensuring that everyone within the Commonwealth of Virginia receives fair representation and that those who are dedicated to that calling can realize their full academic potential. One of the primary aspects of criminal defense is representing individuals in vulnerable situations and protecting them and their family’s interests. Furthermore, many people who aspire to be lawyers or pursue other demanding careers fail to find the time to promote the good of others in their community.
Karin Riley Porter Attorney at Law believes that it is essential to lead by example and give back to one’s community. This is true both for those directly involved in the legal profession, and for those who are employed in other professions that contribute to the growth and success of the Commonwealth.
To this end, the firm is dedicated to providing educational opportunities for future lawyers and other college and university students who are also actively engaged in making their community a better place by leading and planning community service projects. We are pleased to announce the annual Karin Riley Porter Attorney at Law Good Works Scholarship.
Karin Riley Porter Attorney at Law remains steadfastly dedicated to this calling and to supporting students equally committed to this cause by providing this annual $500 scholarship.
Criteria for eligibility and selection:
- The scholarship program is open to all undergraduate, graduate, and law school students, as well as incoming college freshmen at an accredited U.S. educational institution.
- The candidate must be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
The Karin Riley Porter Attorney at Law Scholarship program welcomes all students who meet the above criteria to apply. Applicants will be assessed based on the following criteria:
- Complete the Karin Riley Porter Attorney at Law Good Works Scholarship Application Cover Sheet (opens in PDF).
- A 500 word letter of intent that identifies the applicant and describes the applicant’s leadership and dedication in giving back to his or her community through community service projects, including projects involving criminal justice issues.
- A current, unofficial academic transcript from the applicant’s school.
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher, principal, school administrator, work supervisor, or a member of the clergy who has known the applicant at least one year and can speak to why the applicant deserves this scholarship.
Application deadline and instructions:
To be considered eligible, interested applicants must submit a completed application along with the previously listed requirements via email to Scholarships@Virginia-CriminalLawyer.com by November 31, 2017. The scholarship winner and other applicants will be notified of the results later in the year.
Email Submission Instructions:
- Subject Line: [Applicant’s Name] — [Name of Scholarship]
- Attachments: All of the required materials must be submitted in one email: Cover Sheet, Letter of Intent, Unofficial Transcript, Letter of Recommendation. We do not accept piecemeal applications.
Applications that fail to follow the above instructions regarding subject line and attachments will not be considered.
For Questions Please Email: firstname.lastname@example.org