Vienna DUI Lawyer
A DUI arrest does not have to end in conviction. A Vienna DUI lawyer can explain your defense options and can work diligently to bring your case to its optimal resolution. Our Vienna DUI attorneys have experience litigating in the Fairfax County court system and are dedicated to providing clients with aggressive advocacy throughout the DUI process.
Call and schedule a consultation today to discuss your case with a defense attorney in Vienna.
Working with a DUI Lawyer in Vienna
DUI arrests are relatively common, but this does not mean you should take your case lightly. The consequences can be severe, and may include not only jail time and fines, but also the loss of a driver’s license, drug and alcohol treatment, ignition interlock requirements, expensive high-risk insurance, and more.
Hiring a DUI attorney in Vienna to handle you case gives you the opportunity to minimize any consequences associated with your DUI arrest.
Some of the ways a Vienna DUI attorney can help include the following:
- Challenging the legality of a traffic stop
- Illustrating improper administration of field sobriety tests
- Providing evidence of faulty breathalyzer equipment
- Negotiating alternatives to jail.
A free consultation with a Vienna DUI lawyer should help you understand your options for defense and find a lawyer who you feel comfortable representing you before the Fairfax County General District Court.
Virginia DUI Laws
Most states set the legal limit for per se impairment for DUI at a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08 percent (Virginia Code 11-174.1). Anyone with a BAC at or above this level is considered to be under the influence of alcohol, even if he or she has no obvious signs of impairment.
Virginia law prohibits operating a vehicle while impaired by drugs or alcohol. The law specifically forbids:
- Operating a motor vehicle while impaired by alcohol
- Operating a motor vehicle while impaired per se (BAC of 0.08 percent or greater)
- Operating a motor vehicle while under the influence or impaired by illegal drugs
- Operating a motor vehicle while under the influence or impaired by prescription medications
- Transporting a minor while under the influence or impaired by alcohol or drugs
Commercial drivers and drivers under the age of 21 can be charged with DUI with a BAC lower than 0.08 percent.
Virginia DUI Penalties
The penalties for DUI in Virginia are outlined in
- First offense – up to 1 year in jail and a $2,500 fine, 12 month license suspension.
- Second offense – up to 1 year in jail with mandatory jail terms of five or 10 days depending on the date of the prior conviction and the BAC level of the instant offense.
- Third or subsequent offense – This is a felony offense which includes up to five years in jail with mandatory terms of 90 days, six months, or a year depending on the date of the prior convictions. Additional mandatory time can be imposed by the court if there is an elevated BAC. It is uncommon for a person convicted of DUI in Virginia to receive the maximum sentence allowable by law. Hiring a Vienna DUI lawyer can help you avoid unnecessary penalties and consequences of a DUI conviction.
DUI Defense: Vienna DUI Attorneys
If you have been arrested for DUI in Vienna, Virginia, you are not alone. Help is available when you call to schedule your free consultation with a Vienna DUI lawyer. Call today to fight your DUI charge.