Purcellville Reckless Driving Lawyer
Reckless driving is a traffic violation that can lead to a criminal record and potential jail time if the case is not handled properly. A Virginia reckless driving lawyer can provide you with experienced legal counsel so you can have a solid understanding of the charges and what you can do to defend your rights and your record.
Most people have been pulled over for speeding or a simple traffic- or vehicle-related infraction at some point or another. However, the stakes for these seemingly minor charges are elevated in Loudoun County and throughout the Commonwealth.
Virginia is a state where speeding-related offenses are taken very seriously, with some charges resulting in serious consequences such as a criminal record. If you are facing reckless driving charges, contact one of our local Purcellville defense attorneys today to learn about the defense options that may be available to you.
Reckless Driving Enforcement
Purcellville’s location in Loudoun County allows for its roads to be enforced by the Town of Purcellville Police Department, Loudon County Sheriff’s Office, and the Virginia State Police. With the number of agencies that that are on the look-out for speeding and reckless driving, the local roads leading in and out of Purcellville are heavily policed. With such a heavy police presence, it’s important to be aware of your rights during a traffic stop, as well as the driving actions that may result in reckless driving charges.
What Constitutes Reckless Driving?
Reckless driving includes several offenses such as:
- The use of excessive speed by driving 20 miles per hour over the speed limit or driving faster than 80 miles per houtr on any road
- Failure to yield to an emergency vehicle
- Participation in drag racing
- Failure to signal
- Passing a stopped school bus
In the end, almost any action on the part of a driver that a police officer finds to be “reckless” is enough justification to conduct a traffic stop and issue reckless driving charges. However, if this happens to you, it’s important to remember three things:
- A reckless driving charge is not a ticket—it’s a serious Class 1 misdemeanor offense that can result in serious consequences.
- By working with a Purcellville reckless driving attorney to challenge your charges, you place the burden of proof on the prosecution to prove that you were, in fact, driving recklessly.
- There are a number of effective defenses your attorney can employ to establish reasonable doubt, which can result in your charges being reduced or dropped altogether.
If you are facing reckless driving charges, you can be convicted of a misdemeanor offense if you do not mount an effective defense effort. In addition to a criminal record, you can also you’re your license for a period of time, be forced to pay a fine of up to $2500, face up to a year in jail, and have six demerit points added to your license. However, contacting an attorney as soon as possible after receiving charges can help you get a jump on compiling the evidence needed to defend yourself effectively in court.
Find a Defense Attorney Today
The good news is that you do not have to handle a reckless driving charge on your own. Many people are charged with reckless driving in Purcellville every year, and our lawyers in have the experience to prepare defenses that can ultimately result in these charges being dismissed or reduced. Call our law offices today to learn more.